Sunday, April 19, 2009

Just When You Thought I Couldn't Be Creepier

. . . along comes this little Internet widget that turns me Vulcan.

[EDIT: I realized after I embedded the thing that it would automatically start everytime someone visited my blog, even weeks from now when this entry's at the bottom of the page. I hate that. Instead, I linked the screen capture below to a URL that plays my very special and deeply creepy message to you.]


That's not my voice; the program has text-to-voice capabilities that turns typed text into speech--and does it pretty well, I think. Although it's based on a photo I uploaded, I don't think it looks much like me, either. The mouth, nose and glasses are definitely mine. The hair and ears definitely aren't. And the eyes . . .

Those eyes are soulless black voids that swallow all expression and emotion, returning nothing but the disturbing digital dispassion of a computer. In other words, Vulcan. So job well done, I guess.

And if you move your cursor around the screen, I'll follow it like a green-blooded sehlat (i.e., a live Vulcan teddy bear with six-inch fangs) scrutinizing a housefly. So that's fun.

4 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

As much fun as this is (and it's a lot), there actually is a tiny dab of creepiness in it, isn't there? I think it has to do with the way the smile is frozen while the head keeps turning after the spoken lines are done.

Oh, and the sponsor? Perfect, absolutely perfect.

ronnie said...

That is...

I...

That's...

It...

Finally, I'm speechless.

ronnie

ronnie said...

(P.S. I had that exact same haircut when I was 11, too.

My mom cut it.

Now I'm gonna have nightmares.

ronnie)

Anonymous said...

Intriguing. ;P

It's amazing the kinds of things attached to movie marketing these days.

I must agree with Mr. Harrington on the point that the smile of the icon is frozen while the rest of the face is animated (so to say).