Friday, September 10, 2010

Sketch-A-Thon Saturday


Just a reminder: I'll be at the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, Calif., tomorrow between 1 and 3 p.m. taking part in a
16-cartoonist "Sketch-a-Thon" to help celebrate the 60th anniverary of "Peanuts." The event's headliner is syndicated cartoonist Dan Piraro, who'll be speaking in the museum's theater at 3:30.

We've all been asked to draw something for the museum's collection to honor "Peanuts" while we're there. When I showed my wife Karen a sketch of my idea, she found it way too depressing. I tried to defend myself: one quality that made "Peanuts" great was its melancholy. She didn't buy it. "It's supposed to be a celebration!" So I happied it up a bit, to the point that I expect the number of people who will feel suicidal after seeing my drawing to be quite small. So much for artistic vision.

Come on by, meet some cartoonists, watch us draw, buy some books, tour the museum, listen to Piraro. Sounds like a nice afternoon.
.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Oh, shit! I was still trying to come up with a response to Colleen Doran.

Mike Lynch said...

Wish I could be there, my friend!

Sherwood Harrington said...

You gonna just leave us guessing about the one that Karen didn't like, or are you going to man up and post it?

Brian Fies said...

Sorry, already tossed it. But I'll show you the one I did as soon as I get around to scanning and writing about it. Short version: had a real fine day playing cartoonist. Nice people, good time.